We have been working hard this year to improve opportunities for our pupils and support mental health and wellbeing. Our new initiatives include:
- Development of Nurture Nooks/areas in each classroom. All teachers are trained in using Nurture techniques.
- Development of a new Nurture room with sensory area. This will be available to support all pupils.
- School Free Counselling Service is now up and running and we hope to be able to continue with this. Parents can make referrals through school.
- Connected Kids Programme - Children are taught mindfulness and Positive thinking strategies through this programme. Mrs Anthony who has trained in the programme will now be able to deliver this throughout the school.
- 'Mind Over Matter' - Primary Seven programme to support transition to post primary.
- Transforming Lives together - working with Christ Church, we have introduced an individual mentoring programme for pupils.
If you are worried about your child's mental health and well-being, the following are some resources that may be of help.
See, Hear, Respond
Families in Northern Ireland can now self-refer for See, Hear, Respond online at https://www.barnardos.org.uk/northern-ireland-see-hear-respond or call 0800 157 7015
This service will work with children and young people in Northern Ireland who might need additional support to cope with the Covid-19 pandemic, offering practical and therapeutic support. It will also offer advice and guidance to any adults who are concerned about a child’s mental health and wellbeing.
Has links to support lines if you are needing help with kids at home. Someone to listen and direct you to help.
Another great link to support families through bereavement https://www.childbereavementuk.org/
RISE NI (Regional Integrated Support for Education) has launched a new Parent Website for you to access at:
https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/home-families/family-relationships/ - Advice for dealing with family relationships.
Tel: 0800 1111
https://www.camhs-resources.co.uk/ - A bank of resources promoting positive mental health and wellbeing.
https://www.parentingni.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Coping-with-Stress-for-Kids.pdf - Tips on coping with stress.
Anna Freud - National Centre for Children & Families
https://www.annafreud.org/schools-and-colleges/resources/advice-for-parents-and-carers-talking-mental-health-with-young-people-at-primary-school/ - Tips for talking about Mental Health with your child.